Friday, April 13, 2012

Waiting and I Can't

I am reading the book of John in the bible, of which I just finished chapter 5.  Jesus saw a man who had been lying by the pool of Bethesda for 38 years,  he was waiting for someone to help him get the pool when the water was stirred so he could be healed, but he had no one to help him.  Jesus asked him if he wants to get well and the man responds with "I can't" and continues with a list of excuses.  Jesus tells to do 3 things: stand up, pick up his mat, and walk.
I have heard sermons on this this passage before, even read it before, but today I am struck anew with awe of God and how He orchestrates things. A recording by Zig Ziglar that I have  recently listened to talked about waiting on others or other things.  Sometimes you do have to wait: in line, at the doctor's office, or for a flight. However, if you keep waiting for the right time or for someone else to do something before you do something, you most likely won't do it.  On the recording Ziglar also talked  about the power of words, especially your own.  I have been getting this message in various forms for some time now, but I have yet to be truly consistant with it.
The man waiting by the pool, waiting for someone to help him, waiting for the waters to be stirred, was conditioned to a lifetime of waiting, and "I can'ts".  Then Jesus showed up.
 I have been that man in some form or other.  I have done plenty of waiting, and plenty of negative talk, sometimes I can'ting all over the place.  But today I am encouraged not to wait any longer, and  that even when we are "stuck" in our conditions , just like that man by the pool in Bethesda, Jesus
 will get us out of our conditions.  He meets us where we are but does'nt leave us there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment